"He's got the whole world in his hands"

Where is the brave educator who is willing to introduce the topic of reincarnation into the science curriculum?

A significant number of the world's population believes in some sort of multiple lives scenario.

Let's play this one out with the Right-wing.

Educators, be sure to include in your teachings all valid, widely-accepted theories regarding human existence on the planet earth.

The fundamentalists are trying to present their creator-god scenarios under the guise of scientific theory.

If we were to introduce other, equally controversial belief systems in the same way, I suspect the true agenda-- fundamentalist Christian indoctrination-- would be exposed.

I am sure there are hundreds of possibilities for balancing the curriculum with "alternative" (i.e. non-Western) thought.

Unfortunately, all of this discussion of belief-systems-as-science would come at the expense of the traditional science curriculum-- the basics that would actually help a young person to become a scientist.

But no great loss, really-- does anyone believe that America is currently leading the world in preparing its students for careers in science?

And how much science do you actually need to work in the service industry? The WalMarts of 21st century America have no need for scientists. All that is required is obedience, conformity and slavish attention to calendars and clocks.

We can always import our scientists-- as needed-- from India.


- glassfrequency




21 December 2004, Media Matters
intelligent design as a secular, scientific alternative to evolution

1 comment:

Susie said...

Back when I was in Catholic high school, I got in trouble for doing a presentation for religion class on reincarnation. The nun insisted it was a heresy and a sin against canon law; I told her my research showed it used to be an accepted part of church doctrine until the third century.

She informed me SHE had a masters in theology. "Did you ever study reincarnation?" I asked. When she said no, I said, "With all due respect, then, you may as well have studied tap-dancing. It's just not relevant."

At my tenth reunion, one of the nuns told me Sister Eileen used to come home and cry every time she had me in class. I said, "Good!" The nun was shocked: "Why do you say that?"

"If her beliefs were so tentative, a 15-year-old could shake them, then maybe she needed it," I said.

Post a Comment